Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pink Nation

Only was it this year that I realized what October meant to so many women across the nation, but the importance started creeping in last year. I was sitting on my couch one Sunday in early October watching the good ol' Colts when I  noticed something different--flashes of pink, little ribbons on their helmets and patched to their shoulders. I thought, "Oh, how nice, they are supporting Breast Cancer Awareness" and, "Colts' blue looks really good with pink."  I think I even made a Facebook status about it.

 You have to admit. They do look good together.

But the month of October and the awareness of breast cancer has taken hold of me this year. I'm not sure if it's because I've spent the past three months working with women to help support their girls and realize that anatomy  is an important part of what it means to be a woman...but not the only thing (that's a whole other blog entry).  
Or maybe it's that the nation is becoming more aware, therefore I am becoming more aware.  Like this super cute bracelet from Stella & Dot, 20% goes to Breast Cancer Awareness or Vera Bradley's day of giving 25% of all net product sales to Breast Cancer Research. You can look cute for a good cause, who doesn't love that?                                                                           





But most likely it's because I'm getting older and, of course, wiser. Cancer comes into our life and affects not only you but everyone around you.  I realize that some day I might be diagnosed with a cancer whether it be skin, breast, or any other type.  My own family members have fought to survive or are continuing to fight against the awful disease.  Another reason I'm so appreciative of Breast Cancer Awareness month is because I am so proud of women.  The strongest people I know are the women in my life. Both of my grandmothers have taught me what it means to work hard and to love hard, too.  My mother has done everything and anything and never stops. Everyone has a mother and grandmother, and  whether they are affected by breast cancer or not, everyone should be aware because we need to protect the women who have worked so hard to fight this disease. I am so proud of all the women who have fought/are fighting against breast cancer.

Ultimate Girl Power

2 comments:

  1. wonderful! you know the only thing i'm not big on? the "save the tatas" stuff. that just seemed like an excuse for guys to wear something that said "tatas." i think there are classier ways of going about it. love the jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Good point :)

    ReplyDelete